Foraged Kelp & Seaweed Salsa Workshop
20% off this experience if you are staying at the Edenwild https://theedenwild.com/ - Please contact us for details
Experience the Salish sea as never before. As a salsa!
Join host Chris and Krista as they take you on a foraging journey collecting bull kelp and other various seaweeds to be incorporated into a Pico De Gallo salsa that you’ll create at the commercial kitchen in the Edenwild on Lopez Island, Washington. Then enjoy your freshly made salsa with a So. Cal. inspired taco bar style meal.
Foraging for wild foods is a delicious way to connect with nature. Not only can you find amazing foods that you can't get at the grocery store, but foraging is also a great way to get exercise and fresh air. And, best of all, foraging is free! All you need is a willingness to explore and a little bit of knowledge about which plants are safe to eat. This experience is intended to empower you to eat wild!
You will head out as a group to a select location by foot or boat depending on the weather and tides. You’ll gather all the kelp you need to make a delicious seaweed-infused Pico De Gallo. We’ll supply all of the local organic ingredients you need to make enough salsa to enjoy it with the included So. Cal. inspired taco bar style meal, as well as some to take home with you.
Once you have the kelp you’ll head back to the commercial kitchen at the Edenwild where you will create your amazing Pico De Gallo salsa.
Once your salsa is complete, you’ll put it on some tacos and enjoy a lovely So. Cal. inspired taco bar style meal.
The workshop runs between 1.5-3 hours including a So. Cal. inspired taco bar style meal.
- A journey to forage local seaweed via foot or boat, weather and tide depending
- All of the local organic ingredients needed to make Pico De Gallo
- A casual So. Cal. inspired taco bar style meal where you can use the salsa you just made
- A take-home field identification guide to Pacific Northwest seaweed
- A printed copy of the recipe
What To Bring:
- Comfortable shoes with a good tread / the more water proof the better
- An appetite for eating wild and a sense of adventure
- The beaches and trails can be rocky and uneven. If you need accommodations please contact us and we will make sure that this adventure is accessible to all who want to participate.
Space is limited to 12 people per workshop.
* All dates subject to change due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances
About The Hosts
For Chris and Krista, sustainable living starts with a good relationship with food. They believe that by reconnecting with food traditions and recipes, we can create a sustainable future for the next generation. To that end, they created Skarpari, a company that provides the tools needed to rekindle your relationship with food. Their passion for sustainable living is evident in their products, which are built to last a lifetime and beyond. By providing the right tools, they hope to help us build a bridge to a sustainable future.